The Motability Scheme enables disabled people to lease a new car by exchanging their government funded mobility allowance . If you receive either the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (HRMC DLA), the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (ERMC PIP) , the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS) or the Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP) you may be eligible to join the Motability Scheme.
Checking your eligibility
If you would like assistance checking whether you are eligible for the allowance, contact one of the following agencies:
- For enquiries about claiming Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment, please telephone 03457 123456 or visit the DWP website.
- For enquiries about claiming War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement or Armed Forces Independence Payment, please contact Veterans UK on 0808 191 4218 or visit the Veterans UK website.
Please note, Motability does not decide who receives the allowance. The Department for Work and Pensions decides who receives the allowance. If you lose the allowance during your lease, we will make arrangements for the return of the car. However, you will only pay the cost of the lease until the car is returned, not for the remaining length of the lease. If you paid an Advance Payment, this will be refunded to you on a pro rata basis.
Do I qualify?
To qualify you need to be receiving one of the Government-funded mobility allowances listed below.
- The Higher Rate Mobility Component (HRMC) of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- The Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component (ERMC) of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- The War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
- The Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
How much does it cost on my allowance?
Depending on the car, it will cost either all or part of your mobility allowance. If you wish to upgrade to a more expensive model that costs more than your allowance, you will need to cover that cost in the form of an advance payment.
How do I apply?
It’s easy to get started. Visit the Motability website to check your eligibility and take the first step to choosing your car by contacting us via the contact form below.
Can I join the scheme if I'm over 65?
Yes – if you receive the HRMC (Higher Rate Mobility Component) of the DLA (Disability Living Allowance) or the WPMS (War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement), and have 12 months or more remaining on your allowance, then you are eligible to join the scheme and can choose your car today!
How can I adapt my car?
There are a number of adaptions to help improve your driving experience:
- Driving adaptions, including pedal modifications and electric controls.
- Stowage adaptions, which include rooftop stowage and car boot hoists.
- Access adaptions to help you get in and out of your car, including swivel seats and electric hoists.
Will I get my advance payment back?
We’re afraid not – the advanced payment isn’t a deposit. It is a one off, non-refundable payment.
How long will it take for my car to arrive?
Delivery times vary depending on the model, so stay in touch with the team at Motability who will keep you updated of any delays.
I was happy with the service at White Dove because the staff were extremely friendly and easy to talk to. Having been to a number of dealerships most staff were only looking for a sale. Staff at White Dove were very friendly and happy to help. Not trying to force a sale and just being a normal person
Mr Aled Howell
I was happy with the service at White Dove. The sales person Richard Middleton was extremely helpful and White Dove should consider themselves fortunate to have such a charming young man on their staff
Mrs Annie Bish
I would recommend White Dove to friends and family because good car and service
Mr Richard Self
White Dove were great because all personnel were friendly and helpful. The handover in particular was thorough with a comprehensive explanation of the controls and attributes
Mr Jeffrey Allen Beer
White Dove were great because everyone was very friendly, knowledgable and helpful, always returned our calls, and helped us in many ways
Mrs Agnieszka Szczuka